Sunday, July 7, 2013

A few observations and the 4th of July

Aloha Everyone!

So, I know it has once again been awhile since I last posted, but do you want to know why?? Well, believe it or not just because we moved to Hawaii we did not turn into the most exciting family around. Nope, that's right, we are still the same old boring family :) Shocking, I know! Aside from that though we are having a little bit of fun.

Because I don't have a ton of fun and exciting things to fill you in on I wanted to share a few observations I have made since moving here to this beautiful state. First is about driving. It is pretty cool how in the middle of busy traffic hour cars will still stop at random pedestrian crossings to let people cross the street. I love this friendliness that is shown. Drivers are not so self-absorbed here. If you need to get over 2 lanes at the last minute, anywhere else you would have to keep on and make it to the next exit, but not here. If you use your turn signal 9 times out of 10 someone will slow down and let you over immediately. It is so nice to not feel so angry or frustrated when driving. However, I would still like to drive as little as  possible since gas cost $4.20, on average.

Another observation (not something I wasn't expecting, but living it is slightly different): we are what the locals would call Howlies (white people) and we are the minority. I was expecting this, but wow, are we ever. I have tried to always treat others the same regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, gender, religion...blah blah blah...but I totally understand how it feels to be the minority...the different ones now. Most people are nice, but there are those few who do not like us simple because we are not local. My plan: be the nicest howly around and make people love us even though we aren't locals :) I will let you know how that goes.

A few fun things now. We finally bought a baby carrier for Zella so we can now go on family hikes :) Our first excursion was very short and on a very easy paved path. Zella wasn't too fond at first and Porter tired out very quickly! It was still fun though. The 2nd hike was just as easy and the kids seemed to take to it better. Below are a few pictures from the hikes.



On another fun note: Porter started playing flag football. I wish I could report that it was really fun, but he hates it :) I'm hoping it's because he is so much younger than everyone else. The team allows kids aged 3 (if 3 before Sept.) to sign up. However, most kids are already 4 and going to be 5 by the end of the year. He is really shy and the only howly playing on the team (I'm hoping this has nothing to do with it though!). We'll see if he opens up to it, if not oh well...we can try again another year! Picture below.
In case you can't tell, Porter is the one with the flags covering his face :) And yes, his coaches are extremely buff!

Finally,  the 4th of July! Wow, it was a lot different here. We went to the Kailua parade (not really a parade according to us, but we are parade snobs!). Porter got dehydrated and Zella got sun burnt :) However, the fireworks, although not the best I've seen had the best locale! Fireworks on the beach always seem better. Enjoy the pics below. The kids loved play time on the beach :)











We miss a lot about Louisiana and our life there, but we are truly trying to make the most out of this new adventure. I hope to have some fun and exciting events to fill you in on in my next post. Some upcoming events: Luke and I have surfing lessons this week, I am traveling to Saipan (look it up...it's in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands), and then I travel to Denver. Going to be a busy couple of weeks! Until next time, live the Aloha life! Love y'all!

Aloha,
The Gleasons
Luke, Beth, Porter & Zella

No comments:

Post a Comment